Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Memory

I was thinking about a friend of mine who I haven't thought of in years this morning. We were great pals when we were just little guys. I'd go to his home and play, and he'd come to mine. He was the only one of my friends whose parents my mom had to call and tell them to come and pick him up. He was fearless. We climbed to the top of the corn crib inside the alleyway. We went to the top of everything that seven year olds could get to. I was brave on those occasions, but he was fearless.

As time progressed, we went different directions. I went to college, and he went into the Marines. Years ago, when visiting Washington D.C., I found his name on the Vietnam Memorial. I looked his name up in the directory, and found that we were there one day before the anniversary of his death. I also discovered that my wife and he shared the same birthday; he would have been one year older. Some time after that, I was at the cemetery in my home town for Memorial Day. I found a clipping in the gathering building there that told of his death. Strangely, whoever had cut out the clipping had left a notice in about a play that I was going to perform in at college. Such different paths, and yet we seemed to be linked in so many ways.

Here is a portion of what was written about him in his Bronze Star Citation, "...while conducting a patrol near the Khe Sahn Combat Base, the Marines came under intense mortar and automatic weapons fire from a numerically superior, well-entrenched North Vietnamese Army force and sustained numerous casualties. Ordered to attack, Private First Class Anderson and several companions boldly advanced, routing the enemy soldiers and seizing the emplacement. While consolidating to continue the assault, he alertly observed several wounded Marines lying in an area dangerously exposed to hostile fire. Reacting instantly, he unhesitatingly left his covered position to aid the injured men. Fearlessly maneuvering across fifteen meters of fire-swept terrain, he reached the side of a casualty and skillfully administered first aid. Ignoring the enemy rounds impacting near him, he continued to treat the injured man, and while assisting him from the hazardous area, private Anderson was mortally wounded. His heroic actions and sincere concern for the welfare of his comrades inspired all who observed him....He gallantly gave his life in the service of his country."

It surprised me that after forty years his memory is still so vivid. I'm sorry he died so young.

If you would like to find someone from your community who gave their life in the service of their country while serving in Vietnam, go to: http://thewall-usa.com/index.asp#search and search by home of record and state.

Jim

No comments: